Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mr. Digital Revolution Killed Love Letters


Early on, Broke Bloke was quite a romantic (I know I know, aren't we all in the beginning?) I miss the notes from my husband, with his crooked lefty scrawl and messages of love so strong sometimes I'd crave a glass of wine with the cheese. We were both fortunate and unfortunate with the nature of our relationship: 2 years, multiple time zones and 3500 miles apart leaves one with idle time to craft love letters. Nothing made me happier than getting a card in the mail from him.

What has our correspondence boiled down to recently? Instant messages. Even, when we are in the same house, we will communicate via IM. While this can be useful at times, e-conversations are not the same as the scrawl of your beloved. They are impersonal, text on a screen (which after a long day makes my eyes cross with weariness) They take place of conversations that might have happened after work in person, reducing the effect of the all mighty RANT. Mr. Digital Revolution, with his text messages (hate them), IMs (OK they are convenient) and emails has encroached on my marriage and I want to send that guy packing.

I don't expect to be like Bess Truman, receiving over 1500 love letters from my husband (Harry, might have been a touch of overkill but I give you credit!) but I think it would get fun to get back to the pen and paper. My parents have been married over 35 years and are chronic note writers, something I've always envied. When one of them goes away, you can be sure there is a card or note squirreled away somewhere. It's engaging, it's inspiring, it's romantic.

My quest for this week is to use some of the many items of stationary we've accrued over the years to revisit this. I'm going to challenge myself to be less lazy and to limit e-correspondence. I'm curious if this will help the communication lines any. Broke Bloke knows nothing of this yet, so lets see how he responds. Anyone care to join me?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP